Thursday, January 15, 2009

Joining in on Biblical Womanhood's Getting Back on Track Challenge!


















I don't know about the rest of you, but with the New Year, I had a lot of new "goals" set up. My first goal? To finally get a handle on my weight. It's been a struggle my entire life, but it's never really been an issue until I started having kids. My weight has ballooned to an unhealthy 215. Yep, I'm putting that number out there for all to see! My goal this year is to get down to 150 lbs, around a size 10. I think a size 10 for these hips having had three kiddos is a great goal! Now, we don't really have the funds for me to join a gym. At one point, we were contemplating me joining the gym at the local university Billy attends. However, with the unpredictability of my job situation, we're leaning more towards purchasing an inexpensive, but still quality, elliptical or treadmill. Should my job end (as it has been threatened so many times), then Billy will go back to working full time. In that situation, I wouldn't have time to visit the local gym, due to his erratic work schedule and his going to school full time, as well! So, we pray for a little extra money in our tax return, and that we are able to fund an elliptical purchase. I have several workout DVDs, my favorites being the ones by The Biggest Loser trainers. However, it's sad to say I am that out of shape that I cannot do one of those much longer than 15-20 minutes! So, my goal is to work up to those and really just to get physically fit.

My second goal this year, my primary goal I should say, is to really learn to submit. I have been struggling with this even longer than my weight! I come from a home that was headed by a single mother. This was not a chosen situation, as my father passed when I was 10. My mother remarried and my stepfather passed when I was 14. So, there has been a lot of hurt in my life due to losing my father figures, which are so important for a little girl. In turn, my mother really stepped up to the plate. She worked her behind off, and while she may not have been perfect, she really tried her best and she's got three great kids to show for it. I have a hard time submitting to my husband (and even to the Lord, I'm ashamed to say) because of my childhood. I am used to the woman being the head, the woman being the boss! I am used to that stereotypical feminism. This is something I desperately want to avoid! I don't want to be a feminist, and I want to submit to my husband, as I am called to do so by the Bible.

So, I should say my goals for getting back on track this year are to:

6-630 AM, get up, feed Delilah
700 AM, workout on my *new* elliptical (when I get it!)
730 AM, bathe
800 AM, my work day starts

I work from 8-5, and during the day I'd like to take some time to read God's Word and pray. There is also something my heart has been leaning towards, and it's the topic of head covering. That, however, is an entirely new entry! Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Alison said...

I found your link on MSM and just wanted to encourage you. At my highest, I, too, was 215. I think it's great that you have decided to get into a more healthy lifestyle. You definitely have to combine working out with eating right. I am now a lifetime member of Weight Watchers at 145. Even if you can't join weight watchers, I would recommend writing everything you eat down. You'd be amazed how you might not pop it in your mouth if you have to write it down! Enlisting your husband's support is helpful, too. I was much more successful when my husband was doing it with me. 20 minutes a day of exercise is a great start for sure! Have little goals along the way so you don't get discouraged! It took me almost a year to lose it. Anyway, hopefully, you find some encouragement in this random email from some random lady who knows you can do it-with the Lord's strength and help!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your honesty in this post. It's not easy to admit struggles that we have. Thanks for being so transparent!

Hope you have a great week!
Karen