Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Thrifty Shopping Trip!



Now, I know this "thrify" craze has been sweeping the nation, and it's certainly got me caught up right in it! I'm learning and striving to stretch our dollar further and further - as far as it can go! I have learned a lot from several great websites - MoneySavingMom & Hot Coupon World, to name a couple, and I'm starting to use a lot of their great tips in my every day life.

First, CLIP coupons! I know, I know, it's a tedious, and not-so-fun job, but I promise it will save you a ton of money! Second, MATCH those coupons with your local grocery stores weekly sales flyers! I have local to me a Kroger, Albertson's, Market Basket, WalMart, Sam's Club, and a KMart. I also have a CVS and a Walgreen's, which I do really well coupon'ing there as well, too!

Today I gave myself a budget of $50 and wanted to see what I could come up with. It takes me about an hour or so to ready myself, by going over my sales flyers and gathering my coupons. Billy (my husband) and I decided to take the whole family and make a little outing of it. We had to stop at both WalMart and Kroger.




First, at WalMart we got:
10 boxes of Ronzoni SmartTaste pasta
3 bags of Hershey's chocolate & butterscotch chips
2 packs of candy canes
1 3-lb bag of rice
2 Blue Plate mayonnaise
1 Country Crock margarine
1 Italian dressing
1 Smucker's all natural peanut butter
Green Onions

White Onions
Celery
Pepsi (for me!)
Soft Peppermint sticks

Grand total @ WalMart after coupons - $34.97

We ran to Kroger right after, where the boys had a melt down so Billy took them home (we sadly cannot fit comfortably into one vehicle - we own a Honda CR-V and a GMC Sierra, but three carseats makes for a not so comfortable squeeze). I picked up the last few things on our list.

Kroger -
2 packs Huggies diapers
2 4-packs of Cottonelle toilet paper
2 smoked sausage
2 cans ReddiWip
1 bag Kroger brand french fries
Organic bananas (bought the organic on accident, we usually don't buy organic bananas)
1 jar Kroger salsa

Total spent @ Kroger after coupons - $18.67

Grand total $53.64! A smidge over my budget of $50 for the week, but not too shabby!

Next week will be a slow week because of Christmas, but our freezers are stuffed and our fridge and cabinets are full, so we are blessed! Do you have any good grocery trips to share? Leave me a note with your blog address!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You and your addiction. :) Ha! I dont have the patience and skill you do to do all of that :)